Friday, November 7, 2014

Natalie's Nutcracker Dress


Natalie's family is planning a special trip to see the Nutcracker this year, so they wanted a very special dress. Nutcracker is a Philadelphia holiday tradition and the Academy of Music is a venue that demands a very fine frock. Did you know the Academy was the setting for the lush opera scenes in the Age of Innocence?
 

It didn't take long to decide what to make for Natalie. I had been saving this cranberry voile for the right client. It has a beautiful drape and a floaty quality that reminded me of something a ballerina might wear.
 
 
The color was exactly right on her. Normally, I take my little clients through piles of fabrics, swatches and trims to find the right thing. When I draped this fabric around Natalie, we didn't look any further.
 
 
The pattern features a soft gathered yoke with floating slightly puffy sleeves. I accentuated the bodice, neckline and sleeves with fine French laces. Although the cranberry and lace combination gives the dress a holiday feeling, it would be just as suitable for a birthday party, wedding or other occasion. The skirt includes a 4" double turned hem, which I will happily let out in the future for no additional charge.
 
 
It's even perfect for curling up with a favorite Christmas book!
 
My 2014 holiday schedule is almost completely booked. I have room for only one more full commission if you contact me quickly. In fact, I've already started booking for Communion 2015. However, do get in touch if you have specific requests. I might be able to accommodate you. Also, stay tuned as I might be offering smaller gift options!
 
*this dress made from a licensed pattern by Oliver + S.


4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Melanie.
    Natalie looks exquisite in her new frock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garments are pure perfection. Looking forward to seeing the 2015 confections.

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRULY, SIMPLICITY with a CLASSIC STYLE . . . a young girl's dress for "special" occasions, BRAVO! How special is voile in a lovely shade of cranberry and French white narrow lace trimming both the neckline and cap sleeves PLUS wider lace horizontally accentuating the empire bodice. Fully lined in silk, how special is that, so soft! Perfect photo shoot! Can you post a photo of Natalie wearing this dress when she attends the Nutcracker performance? You must have a sense of PRIDE in this "pure perfection" as Susan commented above. Sarah Helene in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete